Before you leave
Give your address change to:
- Post office
- Banks, credit cards, doctors’ offices
- Friends and relatives
At your bank:
- Transfer funds, arrange check cashing if moving to a new city
Notify company of new location for coverages: life, health, fire and auto.
- Gas, light, water, internet, cell phone, fuel
- Get refunds on any deposits made
Medical, Dental, Prescriptions and Histories
- Transfer needed prescriptions, eyeglasses, X-rays.
- Obtain birth records, medical records, etc.
And don’t forget to:
- Clean your refrigerator and freezer
- Clean rugs
- Clean and wrap clothes before moving
- Check with a moving company about insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day and time, various shipping papers, method andtime of expected payment
- Plan for special car or care needs if you have an infant or pet
On moving day
- Carry enough cash or travelers checks to cover the cost of moving services and expenses until you make banking connections if moving to a new town
- Carry jewelry, computers and documents yourself
- Plan for transporting your pets; they are poor traveling companions if they’re unhappy
- Double-check closets, attics, crawl spaces, drawers and shelves to be sure they are empty, especially those hard to reach places
- Round up all the sets of keys and give them to your Realtor®who will provide them to the buyer’s agent for the buyer
At your new address
- Check on internet, cable, gas, electricity and water services
- Check the pilot lights on the stove, water heater, incinerator and furnace
- Register your car within five days after arrival in your new state or a penalty may be incurred when you get new license plates
- Apply for state driver’s license and have your new addresson the license
- Register children in school if changing school districts
- Arrange for medical services, such as doctors, dentists, etc.